Release 2.02: July 31, 1997
Release 2.01: June 30, 1997
Bug fixes only, no new features.
Release 2.0: June 13, 1997
This is a major release, with many new features. Here are some of the
- Exception safety. All STL components are now exception safe.
- New container class: rope. A scalable
- New container class: slist. Singly
- Member templates. If your compiler supports member templates,
then you will be able to use the fully general form of containers'
copy constructors and insert member functions.
- New mechanism for accessing iterators'
associated type information: iterator_traits.
(Note: you can only use iterator_traits
if your compiler supports "partial specialization".)
and distance have been rewritten in
terms of iterator_traits.
- Reimplementation of deque.
deque has been completely rewritten,
for higher performance.
- type_traits mechanism, which allows omission of null
constructor and destructor calls.
- New temporary_buffer
class. This was partially motivated by exception safety, but it
is also more convenient and more efficient than the old
- New allocator, debug_alloc, which is useful for verifying
the correctness of memory allocation and deallocation.
- New algorithms:
- Greater portability. The SGI STL can now be compiled using
Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0, and Borland C++ 5.02; it should not be
difficult to port it to any other compiler that has good support
for templates. (Specifically, any compiler that has default template
parameters.) Most compiler-specific code is isolated in the file
1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.