(DBWORLD) Re: let le add SITEDI initiative

Prof. Giorgio VALLE (valle@imiucca.csi.unimi.it)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 07:33:00 +0200 (DFT)

Summer young students IT Educational Initiative
SITEDI

ACM Italian Chapter of the Association of Computing Machinery

The ACM Italian Chapter is promoting a five-year educational experiment o=
Information Technology education for pre-University students during their
summer vacations. With the support of the Association for Commuter
Transportation (ACT ), the Summer 1998 edition will emphasize also themes
related to "Computing and Personal Mobility".

SITEDI is an education experiment introducing students to the opportuniti=
es
of Information Technology studies at the University level. The program
consists in a daily seminar, one hour in the morning and one hour in the
afternoon, during which the state-of-the art IT subjects are presented b=
knowledgeable instructors. The intention is to introduce young people to
the potential of a career in Information Technology while vacationing in =
summer resort. The program is both educational and entertaining, a mind
stretching equivalent to physical exercise.

The format will consist in a state-of-the-art presentation of specific
weekly themes self-contained in ten-hours lectures and a certified projec=
assignment from June 1 to August 31 1998.
Registration fee is $100 per person but attendance is free to members of
ACM or ACT and their families. Individuals wanting to join ACM via email
can send information along with payment to <orders@acm.org>. The fees for
membership are: Voting/Associate $89 , Student $27

The venue is Marina di Lesina, located in the South of Italy, along the
Adriatic Sea in the Region of Puglia opposite to Dubrovnik in Yugoslavia.
There is a succession of beaches and there are natural attractions being
the village on the border of Lake Lesina, the third largest lagoon in
Italy; within the National Park of Gargano and in front of the Tremiti
Islands which are reachable with a short boat journey. For Catholics the
nearby Mount Rotondo abbey will give the opportunity to witness how stron=
tribute Padre Pio, the priest with stigmata in both his hands, still
receives from all variety of people visiting his grieve. Gargano should b=
described in the National Geographic volumes or at
<www.nationalgeographic.com>.

Stay can cost from as low as $5/day in a shared two bedrooms apartment to
as high as $60/day bull-board in 4-stars hotel Maddalena with outdoor
swimming pool and beach facility.
Pictures of Hotel Maddalena can be retrieved at
http://www.helpnet.it/zangarditours/maddal.html

There will be also camping possibility, areas for caravans and campers,
besides furnished apartments rental. Basically, a bed for any pocket.
Individuals organizing a group of thirty participants are entitled a free
stay and travel.

For further information on SITEDI 98, please contact:

Giorgio Valle
Chairman, ACM Italian Chapter
Dipartimento di Scienze dell' Informazione
Universit=E0 degli Studi di Milano
Via Comelico 39
20135 Milano

Tel +39 2 55006-242
Fax +39 2 55006-241
valle@dsi.unimi.it

Fell free to circulate among your friends

At 7:58 1-10-1997, Arif Ghafoor wrote:
> Call for Papers
>
> IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
>
>Special Section on Data and Knowledge Management in Multimedia Systems
>
>Emerging multimedia information technologies will allow users to
>store, retrieve, share, and manipulate complex information which are
>expected be used for building exciting new applications. Development
>of such applications to a mature and fruitful stage will require
>substantial changes in our approach to the design of operating
>systems, databases and storage systems. Most multimedia applications
>will use some form of pre-orchestrated stored information. Such
>applications include video-on-demand, digital libraries, virtual
>reality, on-line education and training, CAD/CAM, etc. The stored
>nature of the information poses a number of challenges and can allow
>novel techniques in the management and representation of multimedia
>data and knowledge. Potentially promising areas include data
>organization and integration, indexing and retrieval mechanisms,
>intelligent searching techniques, information browsing, content-based
>query processing, handling of heterogeneity and variety of multimedia
>data, and so forth.
>
>In this special section of the TKDE, we focus on data and knowledge mana=
gement
>issues arising in future multimedia information systems.
>
>Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
>
>- Knowledge-Based Representation of Multimedia Information
>- Semantic Modeling
>- Content-Based Retrieval
>- Indexing, Searching and Browsing
>- Knowledge-based Query
>- Algorithms for Managing Multimedia Data and Knowledge
>- Distributed Data and Knowledge-Bases
>- Experimental Systems
>- Applications
>
>Prospective authors are requested to submit six copies of their final
>manuscripts to Arif Ghafoor by November 15, 1997. Manuscripts should
>be no longer than 35 doubled-spaced pages and should conform to the
>guidelines for the authors printed inside the back cover of the issues
>of TKDE. Only original manuscripts will be considered for publication.
>
>Important dates:
>
> Submission Deadline: November 15, 1997
> Acceptance Notification: March 1, 1998
> Final Papers: May 1, 1998
> Publication: Fall 1998
>

>Guest Editors:
>

> P. Bruce Berra
> Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> [...]

| Giorgio Valle | Dipartimento di Scienze dell' Informazione |
| | Universit=E0 degli Studi di Milano |
| | Via Comelico 39 |
| | 20135 Milano, Italy Tel:+39-(0) 2 55006 242 |
| valle@dsi.unimi.it | Fax: +39-(0) 2 55006-373/-241 |